Skip to content

Warning: Javascript is disabled.
For full functionality and best experience on our site, it is necessary to enable JavaScript.
Here is instructions to enable JavaScript in your web browser

Back to Top

Individual land buyers, lessees of state land, or permittees who are unable to make their payments should immediately contact the Division of Mining, Land and Water (DMLW) to discuss ways to address their financial hardship and payments due, consistent with the COVID-19 Outbreak Health Order 1: Suspension of Laws and Appendix A, or the Director's Finding concerning extensions of certain land sale contract and lease payments, or the Commissioner's Order of Extension for mining payments.

Land Use Permits


Helpful Permitting Links Permit Forms


All commercial recreation businesses that use state uplands, shorelands, tidelands, and fresh water bodies must register with the Department of Natural Resources (DNR). The registration serves to provides the DNR with basic information about location, amount and type of commercial day use recreation occurring on state land. For additional information, a factsheet is available or you can register online if you are involved on one of these activities.


Land use permits are authorizations issued to use state land, on a temporary basis, for a variety of purposes. The permits range in duration from one to five years. They are intended for temporary, non-permanent uses such as floating lodges, log storage, scientific research, guide camps, equipment storage and commercial recreation uses. These permits do not convey any interest in the land and permanent structures are not allowed. Permit applications require an application fee set by regulation. For more information, please contact the Public Information Center.


The department may administratively designate state land for special uses provided by 11 AAC 96.014. The land may have special scenic, historic, archeological, scientific, biological, recreational, or other special resource value warranting additional protection or other special requirements. Based on the designation, some restrictions may apply to generally allowed uses (requiring a permit) or have special permit conditions or restrictions. These restrictions and requirements can be seen at


11 AAC 96.010 lists uses that require a permit:
  • a commercial recreation camp or facility (whether occupied or not occupied) that remains overnight
  • an event or assembly of more than 50 persons
  • activities involving the use of hydraulic prospecting or mining equipment,
  • drilling to a depth in excess of 300 feet, including exploratory drilling or stratigraphic test wells on state land not under oil or gas lease,
  • geophysical exploration for minerals subject to lease or an oil and gas exploration license under AS 38.05.131 to 38.05.181,
  • an activity involving the use of explosives and explosive devices (except firearms), or
  • any use that is not "generally allowed" on state land.


As provided in 11 AAC 96.020, some uses and activities are "generally allowed" on state land managed by the Alaska Division of Mining, Land and Water that is not in any special use land status as listed in 11 AAC 96.014. Uses listed as "generally allowed" do not require a permit from the Department of Natural Resources. Note that this list does not apply to state parks, nor to land owned or managed by other state agencies such as the University of Alaska, Alaska Mental Health Trust, Department of Transportation and Public Facilities, or the Alaska Railroad. Before beginning an activity on state land, the user should check to be sure