Skip to content

Warning: Javascript is disabled.
Please enable Javascript for a better experience on our site.

Back to Top
banner image of mountains

Non-Timber Forest Products

Forms and Registration

In July 2008, the Division of Mining, Land and Water changed the regulations (listed above) to authorize commercial harvesting of non-timber forest products (NTFP) on state lands through an over-the-counter authorization. Previously commercial harvesting required a regular land use permit. Pursuant with the change, commercial harvesting of non-timber forest products, up to certain quantities of harvest, now can be permitted through the Department of Natural Resources Limited Non-timber Forest Product Permit.

The change accomplishes two objectives: 1) it streamlines the permitting process, taking less time for staff and applicants and 2) it allows DNR to better manage these natural resources to ensure a sustainable harvest for all Alaskans. Much effort was placed in developing a Harvest Manual that sets appropriate limits of harvest per harvestable species and provides correct harvest protocol to protect the environment and maintain a sustainable harvest.

Frequently Asked Question's (FAQ's)

What are "Non-Timber Forest Products"?
Non-timber Forest Products are generally defined as products derived from biological resources. Some examples include mushrooms, berries, bark, burls, conks, cones, boughs, diamond willow, landscaping transplants, and sap. Not included are rocks, minerals, soil, water, animals, or animal parts. Timber products include saw logs, poles, house logs, firewood, and Christmas trees. Harvest of timber products is permitted through the local Alaska Division of Forestry office.

Do I need a permit to harvest Non-Timber Forest Products?
No permit is required to harvest reasonable quantities of Non-Timber Forest Products for personal use. If you are harvesting NTFPs for commercial purposes you will need a "Limited Non-Timber Forest Products Commercial Harvest Permit".

Commercial use is defined as harvesting NTFPs for the primary purpose of sale, resale, or use in a manufacturing process resulting in a product that will be sold or used for business activities. The official permit to harvest commercially on general or state forest lands can be obtained from any Division of Mining, Land and Water office. This permit does not authorize harvest on private, state park, University of Alaska, Mental Health Trust, Department of Transportation, Alaska Railroad, borough, or federal lands.

Why do I need a permit?
A permit is required to enable the Division of Mining, Land and Water to manage the sustainable harvest of these biological resources for their continued use by future Alaskans.

Are there fees?
Because these resources belong to all of Alaska's citizens, fees are charged to ensure that the citizens share in the benefits of the commercial use of their resources. There is $100 application fee and per unit fees that apply in addition. The fee schedule for NTFPs may be found in the Limited Non-Timber Forest Products Commercial Harvest Permit.

Some cautions:

  1. Be sure that you can identify the product that you are harvesting. Some plants can never be harvested because they are rare, endangered, or sensitive to harvest in other ways. Other plants are poisonous and may resemble edible species.
  2. Know how to collect and handle the product you are harvesting. Improper collecting can damage the remaining plant parts. Improper collecting and handling can result in an unusable product.
  3. Be sure that a market exists for the product you intend to harvest.
  4. Know the land ownership.
  5. Respect the land and others using it. Follow the Generally Allowed Uses (PDF) requirements when harvesting.
  6. Obtain and carry the proper permit.
  7. Maintain required records, timely submit required reports, and pay fees.

There are many commercially available publications that will assist you in identifying plants and other products. The University Extension Service also supplies resources. DNR published the Alaska Non-Timber Forest Products Harvest Manual to assist you with products that can be harvested, harvest protocols, quantity limits, seasonal restrictions, and selected references. The manual is available online at (PDF) and through the local DNR offices.

The regulations governing the management of NTFPs are found at 11 AAC .05.010 Fees, 11 AAC 96.030 Application, 11 AAC 96.035 Commercial Harvest of NTFPs, and 11 AAC 96.250 Definitions.

Please select your registration preference and continue.

  1. Register for a Limited NTFP Permit via mail: (PDF) Minimum payment is $100.00.
    (PDF form is provided for printing purposes. Please complete the form and submit it by mail or in person, along with payment, to one of the three offices listed on the form.)
  2. Register for a Limited NTFP Permit online: Minimum payment is $100.00.
    (Payment may be made online using a credit card or by mailing a check/money order.)
    (NOTE: The online form takes an average of 15-20 minutes to complete.)

An End-of-Season Report (PDF) must be completed and returned within 31 days of the expiration or termination of this permit. Final harvest location and use records (Running Daily Log) must be kept for reporting purposes.



Devil's Club

Morel Mushroom